Thursday, January 12, 2012

Eyes Bigger Than Belly Syndrome

January...heart of the winter...cold...dark...rather dreary looking with bare frozen ground. What's a gardener to do? SEED CATALOGS! I can while away hours oohing and aahing over the gorgeous photos and lush descriptions. I want that one and that one and, oh, I must have some of those. My pencil is sharpened and the crisp white lined paper waits. Soon I begin making lists...Johnny's, High Mowing, Fedco, Pinetree...lists from each of those catalogs...filling up multiple pages with all the must haves. This is truly fun! Jaska happens to be visiting and sitting right beside me..."what tomatoes do you want me to start for you? How about? And this one sounds really delicious, should we try this one?" She has nine varieties of beans on her list. And multiple peas. I'm up to 20 or 30 different tomatoes. At one point she does suggest that I really DON'T NEED any pumpkin seeds. I think that maybe I need to go down in the basement and review what seeds are left from last year but remain glued to the seed catalogs in front of me. I mean, how can a dark, cob-webby basement compare to full color pictures of tomatoes and swiss chard and zinnias and...I have to go now, the seed catalogs are calling, my pencil needs sharpening and there are more lists to make. Yipee!

No comments:

Post a Comment